Healing and Sickening Powers of Music

This morning alone, I've played Na God by Duncan Mighty for like ten times. And from the look of things, I foresee another ten replays. The song is unique and very special. It's a song about God's interest and readiness to help believers in tough times. Duncan Mighty was also at his best thus making the song an artistic perfection that I believe everyone should listen to because it is able to set the day off on a great start. Listen to it below:
Friends on my Blackberry Messaging chat list will nod in agreement when I say I'm addicted to music. I love music so much that it is not possible to see me without my white Sony earphone cords dangling from my ears. I sometimes turn up the volume to the extent that it inflames my eardrums. Now don't think I'm the only one that is guilty. Most music lovers do the same.
At first it could be nasty. But with time, the ears become adapted to the high decibels. This has an advantage. It helps the listener to adapt more easily to noisy environments. This is against the popular myth that loud music is dangerous.
Yes it could be, that's why caution is necessary. Gradual increase in volume is recommended. Start from the lowest volume, then increase the volume gradually. Sudden surge in volume is what could damage the ear. Just like us, the ear as an organ does not like sudden sharp surprises.
With the associated danger taken care of, we can continue to enjoy the music we so much love. It is not just human beings that enjoy music, almost every living creature has a unique playlist. I remember when I was young. I came home from school on a particular afternoon only to meet our neighbor's highly dreaded dog 'Hulk' on the stairs. As I began to walk away, Hulk slowly barked. I increased the pace. When I saw the gap between us was getting shorter, I ran. It pursued me at a swifter pace. It almost got me locked within its claws when we heard Sade Adu booming from another flat. Hulk momentarily stopped the pursuit. It waved its tail and detoured. That afternoon, Sade came to my rescue.
Music has a soothing effect. King Saul's temper was controlled by David's soothing music. It shows that to a large extent, music has healing effect. But contemporary medical practice isn't giving much room for musicians to help in patient care. In some of the hospital wards that I've been to, the TV sets are mostly tuned to news or sports stations. These channels alone can raise the blood pressure of patients on admission. Someone should look into that.
Hospital beds can be made to come with in-built music systems containing BeatsbyDre headsets with which patients can listen to soothing music. It can help them relax, not getting the body so worked up that the healing process is greatly impaired.
I believe medicine is hitting a dry run and in dire need of innovative ideas. Incorporating music into patient's bedside practice is one of the few ideas that can revolutionize medicine and make it more patient-friendly. Cos give or take, they will all love to have fun while getting well. We too can make use of some Duncan Mighty and other great singers at work. It won't distract us, it will only make us happier at work.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Responses to “Healing and Sickening Powers of Music”

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Donec sed odio dui. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio. Duis mollis

© 2013 Paul ADEPOJU. All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks